Thursday, March 31, 2016

Week 11-How to Respond

A man digs through trash on the side of the road, searching for food in that which has been discarded by another. A toddler returns home after working with his family, cutting wood with a machete. A four-year-old girl struggles to color because her dominant hand has an IV in it, pumping her cancer-ridden body full of chemicals.

Witnessing events like these, here and at home, causes an emotional response in the bystander: sadness, guilt, pity. I mean, even watching those commercials about the dying kittens and puppies can cause some to go into hysterics! But what do we do with that? Are sadness, guilt, and pity fleeting enough that if we just wait, we can move on without having to do anything? That seems wasteful—we are called to be good stewards of what we are given, and, at times, what we are given is an emotion that will propel us into action.

Obviously, I have experienced pity while here. Almost daily, I witness something that reminds me that God’s Kingdom on earth is not as it is in Heaven, yet. I struggle, though, with what to do with this feeling.  I am not convinced that I should feel guilty because I was born into a different set of circumstances than others; I am convinced that because of the privilege that I have experienced and continue to experience, I am compelled to be filled with compassion and empathy for all and that my responsibility to others should be greater.

Thinking about an appropriate response to sadness, guilt, and pity, I have created a working list of actions that can be taken:

Be grateful. A person who is grateful realizes that all blessings come from God, and that God is calling you to be a blessing.  Ingratitude leads to destructive behaviors. Gratitude leads to a love of life and life’s Creator.

Be empathetic. Realize that your experiences and the experiences of another are completely different; life is understood and interpreted differently for each person. Do what you can to remove yourself from your understandings and place yourself in those of another. Let empathy prevent quick and, oftentimes, harsh judgment. Let empathy guide you to helping without question. Let empathy allow you to love unconditionally.

Take action. Not everyone will move to another country—not everyone should move to another country! But everyone can perform kind actions; everyone can be the hands and feet of God. That could mean working with a non-profit or ministry. That could mean opening up your home and being hospitable. That could mean fostering a child or mentoring a child who lacks a positive adult influence. That could mean sitting down and talking with a person in such a way that the person leaves knowing that he or she is important and loved. Be someone who walks into the room and turns on the light—there are enough people who are doing their best to bring darkness into our world.

Pray for somebody. “I’ll pray for you” has become this trivial phrase that can mean, “I want you to know that I feel bad, and saying this will make me feel better.” Speaking to the Great Physician, the Creator of the Universe, Our Holy Father on behalf of another is not inconsequential. You are going before God to talk to Him about another person. Let that sit with you for a second. There is nothing small about that.


As I said, this is a working list. Each person will respond differently. The important thing is that you respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment